Thanks Emil.  That makes some sense, but as I think about it, I'm not
sure I understand how to wire these together.  Blaze is obviously
Java, and the point of any of these RPC abstractions is to instantiate
a remote service bean and call methods.  PHP can instantiate Java
easily enough, but I do not see a supported way for Java to
instantiate a PHP service object.  So there's no way for Blaze to
instantiate a "PHP object" (i.e. a PHP object compiled into Java), or
even a proxy for the PHP object that contains the glue.  Without that,
I can't imagine (in hindsight) how using Blaze will ever work as a
front end for PHP code.

I'm far from being a master of PHP, but I'm wondering if there might
be a misfeature in the PHP standard library implementation for
Quercus.  This is super simple to test... unpack
  and drop it into your webapp root.  No configuration is necessary.
Then load http://localhost:8080/amfphp/browser/index.html and you'll
see the issue.

Am I missing anything obvious?

Cheers, Brian