This is Resin Pro 4.0.5 running on a non-busy OS X machine.

When I perform curl -I requests (which just retrieves the header information
from the server) to a simple jsp page, sometimes it returns the header, but
other times the curl request responds with:

curl: (52) Empty reply from server

Also, if I remove the -I from the curl request, it will download the contents
of the page, but again, it sometimes works, but other other times it gets an
"Empty reply from server" response.

However, loading pages in a browser seems to work consistently. I tried
commenting out the cache block in resin.xml, and that does lead to page load
failures in the browser. So I suspect this has something to do with resin's
caching, but not sure what. ???

With the log level set to "finer", I'm seeing the following messages in resin's

This first set is for a successful curl -I request:

{http://*:8080-3} TcpConnection[id=3]starting connection
TcpConnection[id=http://*:8080-3,http://*:8080,ACCEPT], total=3
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] HEAD /some.jsp HTTP/1.1
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Remote-IP: an.ip.address:49390
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] User-Agent: curl/7.19.7 (universal-apple-darwin10.0)
libcurl/7.19.7 OpenSSL/0.9.8l zlib/1.2.3
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Host:
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Accept: */*
{http://*:8080-3} Dispatch '/some.jsp' to
{http://*:8080-3} SessionImpl[aaaeeoksxMIpE9HDBsAFs,] new
{http://*:8080-3} SessionImpl[aaaeeoksxMIpE9HDBsAFs,] create session
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] HTTP/1.1 200 OK
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Cache-Control: private
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=aaaeeoksxMIpE9HDBsAFs; path=/
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] Content-Length: 378
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] finish/keepalive
{http://*:8080-3} Http[3] read timeout
{http://*:8080-3} TcpConnection[id=3] closing connection
TcpConnection[id=http://*:8080-3,http://*:8080,CLOSED], total=3

And this is what resin logs when curl gets the "Empty reply from server":

{http://*:8080-5} TcpConnection[id=5]starting connection
TcpConnection[id=http://*:8080-5,http://*:8080,ACCEPT], total=3
{http://*:8080-5} Http[5] read timeout
{http://*:8080-5} TcpConnection[id=5] closing connection
TcpConnection[id=http://*:8080-5,http://*:8080,CLOSED], total=3

Any thoughts? I'm using the same configuration as I had with Resin Pro 4.0.2
and I don't think it was happening with that version. But admittedly, I didn't
try doing this with that version as I had no reason to suspect anything was