I'm so glad you posted this Jeff, since the same thing happened to us
yesterday. I still don't know how, but finally we realized that somehow
the same JSP page was compiled both as case sensitive and all lower case
(_myJsp__jsp.java and _myjsp__jsp.java).

What really threw us off though, was the fact that when we tried to
deploy this "broken" WAR, Resin in some mysterious way managed to deploy
an old version of that WAR. We deleted the WAR, we deleted the exploded
WAR archive, we restarted Resin. Versioning was and has always been off.
But magically an old no-longer-existing WAR was deployed in place of the
(broken) one we tried to deploy. I don't remember for sure, but possibly
the magic stopped when we deleted [server.root]/resin-data/default/.git
(though I couldn't find any file in there enough to match the WAR. By far.)

Possibly the fact that I managed to remote deploy that same WAR for the
first time earlier yesterday has something to do with this? I might wait
a while until I dare to try remote deploy again...

I saw that the broken WAR problem should be fixed - or handled better -
in 4.0.19. Haven't tried it.
However I would still like to understand how Resin could deploy a WAR
that no longer existed? Is there anyway to turn it off? I sure hope that
this never ever happens in production (knock on wood!), but what should
we do if it does happens again?

</Mattias>

Jeff Schnitzer wrote (2011-06-08 09:43):
> Dunno, I create it with ant just like every other warfile I've ever
> made... but now that you mention it, when I examine the jar it appears
> to have two copies of every classfile.  Didn't notice that before!
>
> And thus the mystery is solved.  Wow, this one drove me nuts.
>
> At one point I was running this war on an Appengine backend, and the
> eclipse config for a GAE project puts the classes in WEB-INF/classes
> (but conveniently hides this in the package explorer).  My ant
> buildfile compiles the classes to a 3rd directory, then includes both
> those classes and the contents of WEB-INF... you get the picture.
>
> Resin could use a better error message for this :-)
>
> I'm happy to be back on Resin though.
>
> Jeff
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Mattias Jiderhamn
> <mj-li...@expertsystems.se>  wrote:
>> Jeff, is it possible that there is something strange about the WAR file
>> itself, like the compression...?
>> May I ask how the WAR is created?
>> Have you compared checksums between where it is created and where it is
>> deployed so it isn't messed up in some transfer?
>>
>> </Mattias>
>>
>> Jeff Schnitzer wrote (2011-06-07 02:49):
>>>
>>> FWIW, a simple stripped-down war file does deploy.  So presumably it's
>>> something about my WARfile.  But there's nothing about my WAR that is
>>> special - it deploys just fine on other containers.  If I unjar it by
>>> hand, it deploys just fine on Resin.
>>>
>>> Jeff

   </Mattias>