Seriously, I've done *nothing* special.  I downloaded resin, unzipped
it, copied in my ROOT.war... and nothing.  I've tried deleting the
ROOT/ directory. I've tried deleting the resin-data/ directory.  I've
tried removing the <web-app id="/" root-directory="webapps/ROOT"/>
(what does that do, anyways?).

resin-admin shows a root webapp.  not mine - just the default one it creates.

It just doesn't work.

FWIW, a simple stripped-down war file does deploy.  So presumably it's
something about my WARfile.  But there's nothing about my WAR that is
special - it deploys just fine on other containers.  If I unjar it by
hand, it deploys just fine on Resin.

Jeff