On Feb 1, 2012, at 6:49 PM, Rick Mann wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2012, at 14:17 , Paul Cowan wrote:
>> On Feb 1, 2012, at 2:51 AM, Rick Mann wrote:
>>> I have resin 4.0.23 installed. It seems to serve up WordPress 2.9.2 okay
>>> (blog.roderickmann.org), but not WordPress 3.3.1 (latencyzero.com/wp/). The
>>> default pages seem to load okay, but the admin pages only render the
>>> left-hand controls, no content. I get the following error:
>>> WP_Screen::$this is an undeclared static field
>>> The two sites above are running in the same resin instance. The config for
>>> each is slightly different.
>>> I always seem to trip over PHP issues with Resin, and get very little
>>> response from you guys for them. This has kept me from ever considering
>>> buying Quercus (you wouldn't even answer a question asking about what kind
>>> of Quercus support I could expect to get if I did buy it).
>>> Hmm, looking around the site, it seems you don't even offer Quercus any
>>> more, is that correct?
>> Hi Rick,
>> http://quercus.caucho.com is still the main Quercus site.  The library is
>> bundled with Resin, inside resin.jar.  The best way to get the latest
>> version is to download Resin Open-Source and use resin.jar.  We have not
>> been producing separate Quercus downloads recently.
>> Please understand that we have not entirely abandoned Quercus, it is just on
>> the back-burner as we focus on Resin.  The issue is not just language
>> support, but all the libraries.  Fully supporting incremental versions of
>> PHP is an enormous amount of work with relatively low return on investment
>> for us.  An engineer working on Quercus is an engineer that is not working
>> on Resin.  We may reevaluate that resource allocation in the future, but for
>> now Quercus is a lower priority.
>> I see the latest version of WordPress is requiring PHP 5.2.4 or greater.
>> Quercus support hovers around PHP 5.2.1, with some selective functions from
>> later versions and some others not implemented.
>> I see you already entered a bug report for this.  That is the best thing to
>> do so we can track issues.
>> http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=4944
> Thanks for the information, Paul, I really appreciate it. It's good to know
> the problem may lie in the version of PHP.
> Is it possible to use PHP directly through Resin? I don't use any of the Java
> integration capability (yet), but I hate to go install Apache (I use Resin
> for all my J2EE stuff) just to support WordPress. Can I get Resin to call to
> PHP (not using Quercus, that is)?

You can do that via CGI with Resin's CGIServlet, or a better alternative is
over FastCGI using FastCGIServlet and php-fpm.

Unfortunately I don't have any good examples to provide you at the moment...

This is a great topic as a cookbook item for out new Wiki, so I will mock up an
example and put instructions the wiki. (In the next day or so.)