I've been using resin's import ability with 3.0, 3.1 and now 4.0. I had some
issues in 4.0 that required tweaking my namespaces on the imported xml file so
below is an example of my resin.xml and app.xml that I am now using in 4.0.32.
If you are using 3, you might have to change the location in resin.xml and/or
the namespaces on the included files.

I am not sure about moving the files in and out of the directory without
restarting resin…if the war file is still in the web apps directory resin will
try to run it without the config. You would have to experiment with that as I
usually run all the apps all the time. My primary purpose for using the import
is to have an app xml file for each environment (production, qa, dev, etc)
which allows me to deploy the war and xml to whichever environment without
touching the resin.xml and also using the exact same war file in every

<resin xmlns="http://caucho.com/ns/resin";
   <cluster id="app">
      <host id="" root-directory=".">
      <!-- Import app-specific XML files (after ROOT web app definition) -->
         <fileset dir="webapps">
            <include name="*.xml" />

Inside the webapps folder, I then add a file for each app that needs a
configuration. I set various things in this file but below are a force-to-SSL
redirect, database connection pool, a hessian service used by the app, and a
simple JNDI string.
<host xmlns="http://caucho.com/ns/resin";
   <web-app id="/myapp" root-directory="webapps/myapp">
      <resin:Redirect regexp="^/" target="https://www.mydomain.com/aws/";>
         <resin:IfSecure value="false" />
      <remote-client interface="com.menlolabs.hessian.service.Sample"