I had a similar problem, but the stacktrace was not exactly the same. This
NPE sounds like a jaxb-impl bug of 2.2.4 version, see
https://jaxb.java.net/2.2.6/docs/ch02.html. Version 2.2.4 is embedded by
JBoss7.1.x, you should replace jaxb-impl with 2.2.5. Can you also check in
your "crazy class path" project what is your version af jaxb-impl ?
I'll try to find time to check out and run your project.