I've tested with JAXB 2.2.5, it's the same problem, so forget my previous
mail.
With the following method in LabelValueAdapter, there's no more NPE :
    @Override
    public Element marshal(LabelValue labelValueModel) throws Exception {
            Element e =
DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance().newDocumentBuilder().newDocument().createElement(getCleanLabel(labelValueModel.getLabel()));
            e.setTextContent(labelValueModel.getValue());
            return e;
    }

With this result :

<testModel>
<DISTILLED_WATER>Deer Park</DISTILLED_WATER>
<MINERAL_WATER>Mountain Stream</MINERAL_WATER>
<PURIFIED_WATER>Mr. Water</PURIFIED_WATER>
</testModel>

I have removed all adapter class private attributes and usage JAXBElement,
it seems there is a problem calling a JAXB marshaller inside an adapter.
JAXB marshalling is not "reentrant" ?