In message <4c965ff8.10...@gmail.com>, zoe slattery writes:

>   Hi
>
> Just wanted to say a quick 'thank you' to all of you who came to
> Hursley this weekend. You made it a great weekend - I hope you all
> enjoyed it as much as I did :-)

I enjoyed it very much.  Thanks everyone, especially Nick and Zoe.

> I've put all the photos I have on flickr
> (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoeslattery/) - most of them were taken
> by Rainer Jung, including the group photo.
>
> When you have time to reflect on the weekend it would be great to know
> what worked for you and what didn't. Should we do more of this kind of
> thing?

Yes please.

> fwiw - this weekend strengthened my feeling that the central aspect of
> a retreat is shared experience, staying together (even if it was *!*!*
> cold) was important for me.

As someone who drove off to a warm bed five minutes down the road,
I don't feel I missed out on much, except the cold, the beer in the
evening (which is often a mixed blessing anyway) and the meditation in
the morning (which was more tempting).  I'm interested to know what
everyone else thinks about this?

In future, perhaps something similar to the Linuxbierwanderung[0] might
be feasible?  They tend to meet in small villages in "interesting"
areas.  I went to LBW 2000 in Coniston (Lake District, UK).  Most
people only went back to their accommodation for sleep and breakfast.
However, most accommodation had other attendees, so little of the shared
experience was lost.

LBW 2000 was a great mixture of hacking, talks and various shared
experiences.  I had some really useful conversations while wandering
around the beautiful lake at Tarn Hows[1] and on the way down(!) from
the Old Man of Coniston[2].

Regards,
 Mark

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linuxbierwanderung
    The 2010 and 2009 websites linked to from that page give some idea
    of the nature of the event.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn_Hows

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_Coniston