There is a known problem with the Yamaha 6416.

I had the same problem with a 6416 on a 7100/66 and on a G3/233.  I don't
have the option of turning off all other apps that might slow down transfer
speed so the 6416 gathers dust while waiting for something that works
better then rev 1.0c

Does anyone know what currently selling SCSI devices are out there that
work OK?  I like the Sony Spressa's but they seem to only have IDE, USB,
and Firewire available as externals.

The list of compactible devices at Dantz web site is a wonderful resource
but it would be difficult for them to keep it up to date as to which
devices on the list are currently available in the marketplace. :-(