Last year when we were testing the Win NT Retrospect 5 on an ageing dual
pentium 200 NT server with 100BaseT & DLT from a variety of clients we
found the following:

B&W Mac G3 clients & Pentium III >=500MHz on switched 100BaseT network to
server all averaged about 70Mb/min (Retro log).

B&W Mac G3 client on shared 10BaseT hub linked to switched network 3
buildings away also averaged 70Mb/min.

The key to performance was the system transfer of the client or server. It
seems  directly proportional to system bus performance.

Likewise with identical older systems on both 100BaseT & 10BaseT networks
their performance was the same with the average transfer rate dropping to
50Mb/min & 25Mb/min depending on the model.

If you have a high performance NT server, DLT and clients, you may utilise
the 100BaseT better but more realistically you will find a bottleneck
elsewhere before you need more than the 100BaseT bandwidth.

Rob.

At 02:54 14/03/00 , Michael Selewach wrote:
>Greetings,
>Our NT Retrospect server has dual 100 mps ethernet connections.  Would it
>help to enable the 2nd one to help with backups?  It's backing up to a DLT
>tape drive and the server is not used for anything else but backups.
>Thx,
>Michael
>

>Schlumberger Reservoir Completions
>Rosharon, TX
>
>(281) 285-5251 (v)
>(281) 285-5450 (f)

Robert Bassett
Manager, Information Services Unit      Ph      03-9479-5909    +61-3-9479-5909
Faculty of Health Sciences              Fax       03-9479-5916  +61-3-9479-5916
Latrobe University, Victoria, Aus.      Rm 403B, Health Sciences 3, Bundoora,
VIC 3083.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]