Garrett,

I had the same dilemma, and came up with some reasonable solutions
(if you have adequate drive space elsewhere on your network). Beauty
of this, is you have two duplicates. I'm assuming that the servers
you are referring to aren't your Retrospect server machine--that you
are using Retro on one machine to do the backups on separate server
machines.

Goes like this:

Solution 1)
Set up two duplicate scripts. The first one will mirror your main
server drive to a second machine (a subvolume on that second
machine's hard drive works fine). Set this script to go off first.

Then create a second script to duplicate the subvolume on the second
machine to duplicate back to the second drive on the server. Make
sure the time for the second script is set to go off after the first
script.

Solution 2)
If you have two servers with two drives in each, you also could
duplicate one server's main drive to the second drive on the second
server, and vice versa for the second machine.

Solution 3)
Alternatively, you can put the second drives on another machine, and
just run a duplicate script from your server to it's new location.
Then when/if you need the drive, if your main server drive fails or
crashes (or you have some other hardware failure), you can just
re-hook it up to your main server and away you go, or use the second
machine as a backup server while you rebuild your main server's
drive, or replace it if it's failed. This also has the advantage of
only hitting your main server once for a duplicate.

Be forwarned that file sharing privileges will not be maintained
during duplicates, as the permissions are always relative to the root
of a certain drive (in this case your main drive)--I don't believe
that even naming the drives the same thing will maintain those
privileges. I have replaced drives on computers, and named them the
same thing as they originally were, and then restored the drive via
Retrospect, and when I run a regular backup script to tape, I always
have to go back and forget the old drive, and add the new one to the
script. I believe that Retrospect looks deeper into the drives
identity than just it's name and the computer it is on to recognize
it on a network (is this right Dantz?).

So if you are using Apple's Users & Groups with file sharing for, say
NetPresenz ftp to use with a web server, then you're out of luck, and
will have to reset those permissions manually. Found out this the
hard way. Now, if someone else has found a good way to maintain those
file sharing privileges during duplicates, I'd love to know! :-).

And yes I know that running AppleTalk and file sharing on a server is
not a good thing (if you have OS 9 you can use TCP/IP file sharing
and turn AppleTalk off), but until I either upgrade to another ftp
server that doesn't use file sharing, or upgrade WebStar to v4.x
which has a decent ftp server built in, I'm stuck with NetPresenz to
allow access to my servers. And I like NetPresenz--wish that
Stairways Software would have continued developing it!

Jim Coefield
[EMAIL PROTECTED]