>> >I want to back up the G3's and restore the files onto the G4's, but I
>> >don't want to overwrite newer items with older items. (especially things
>> >like "Finder" and "System").
>> >
>> >Is there a way I can prevent Retro overwriting corresponding items that
>> >have a newer mod date?

Don't know if this'll be useful for your situation, but it works for me.
I use two tools to do this: Retrospect and Conflict Catcher.

1) Restore the G3 "stuff" to a folder on the new drive. Rename the G3's
system folder to "Previous System Folder" (or something of your own
choosing). You can pick and choose what to restore but that could make
the process take longer than necessary, imho.

2) Install Conflict Catcher

3) Have CC8 do your system merge. It's really quite cool and is much
swifter than comparing system folders file by file.

4) File away anything else you might want from the restored folder and
toss the rest.

Pam Lefkowitz, President                     Consulting
Core Computing Technologies, Inc.     Disaster Recovery
848 Dodge Ave., Suite 254            Network Management
Evanston, IL 60202                   Project Management
voice:847/675-3513                            Solutions
fax: 847/675-3564                              Training
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                    Service

Apple Product Professional
Member, Apple Solution Experts
Certified Dantz Development Partner
Certified Female Business Enterprise - City of Chicago
Certified Female Business Enterprise - Cook County
Certified Female Business Enterprise - State of Illinois
Certified Vendor, Chicago Public Schools