I'm not an expert in Retrospect either but I might have a couple of tips.
You can tell Retrospect to back up to a file instead of a device. When you
create a new storage set, you will see a choice called Storage type. Select
Macintosh File and you can save that file wherever you want. You can choose to
compress the file under the options button on the immediate backup window.
There were some really good discussions not to long ago about different types
of backup devices. That may be good to read if you are considering purchasing
something. I'll try to find the article and send it to you. I'm pretty sure I
saved it.
Tim