I'll add my own story:
We had a laptop walk out the front door two days ago, but thanks
 to a backup server backup not one hour before the theft, my
 boss (the victim in this case) had a working computer less
 than 12 hours later with no loss of data (all 6 Gigs).

-way to go retrospect!

my mantra: backup early and often

>I posted this on Low End Mac last night. If anyone ever questions the
>wisdom of daily backup, have them read this article. We lost a half-day
>of productivity during trouble-shooting, but once we restored from
>backup, everything worked perfectly.
>
><http://lowendmac.com/musings/tips.html>
>
>It was the kind of nightmare every information systems manager dreads:
>the server kept crashing.
>
>I spent most of last Friday morning wrestling our AppleShare IP server
>back into shape. It had crashed twice after I left Thursday afternoon --
>and then at least four more times Friday as I tried to fix things.
>
>Fortunately we were prepared. Here's how you can be prepared when
>disaster strikes.
>
>Back Up Everything
>
>I can't say enough about backup....
>

>Dan Knight, IS manager/webmaster              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
>6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
>Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573
>
>  Macs for productivity, Unix for stability, Windows for solitaire

Philip Chonacky, IS Manager
Barrett Companies
ph. (617) 577-9500
fx. (617) 577-1010