>Reality check, I've been getting about 27GB onto a 20GB/40GB drive.
>This is typical.  You should be able to get 17-18GB on the drive on
>average.

Par for the course. We get 33-36 GB on our 25 GB native AIT tapes.

>Warning, my rant follows:
>
>What I don't get is that they have not improved the compression on
>tape drives all that much.  I mean, compression programs regularly
>get 4:1 to 24:1 compression depending on the data.  Heck, a JPEG
>image is typically 12:1 compression.

JPEG is a lossy compression. I'm sure you don't want to restore files
with some of the data missing.

Dan Knight, IS manager/webmaster              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Baker Book House Company                 <http://www.bakerbooks.com>
6030 East Fulton                                   616-676-9185 x146
Ada, Michigan 49301                                 fax 616-676-9573

  Macs for productivity, Unix for stability, Windows for solitaire