One word Matt: Compression

Native capacity is the amount of uncompressed data that will fit on the tape.

The drive has a hardware-based compressor that squeezes the data as it streams
from the SCSI port to the write mechanism.

The amount the data gets compressed depends upon the characteristics of the data being
processed, but slightly less than 2:1 is normal.

The amount of data being reported on the tape is the amount of uncompressed data.

I use a similar mechanism and usually get a little over 20Gig to a 125m tape.

As always, your mileage may vary :)

Hope this helps

>Hello,
>
>I'm new to this list and subscribed because I have a question I hope one of
>you will be able to answer for me.
>
>I'm using Retrospect 4.2 for Mac, backing up a total of three Mac Servers to
>an APS DAT drive. The tapes I use are Sony DDS3 125P which state a Native
>(I'm not sure what Native means) capacity of 12.0 GB.
>
>After looking at the log of how much data is being backed up, it added up to
>14.3 GB. How can this be? It seems that the tape shouldn't be able to handle
>it but I receive no errors.
>
>Any explanations? Suggestions?
>
>thank you,
>
>-matt
>

>--
>
>For urgent issues, please contact Dantz technical support directly at
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] or 925.253.3050.

Philip Chonacky, IS Manager
Barrett Companies
ph. (617) 577-9500