[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>> >Beige G3 has 10/100... 9600 - maybe, probably not
>>
>> Neither has 10/100 built in.  Just checked the Apple Spec database to
>> be sure.
>>
>> This is a 300, but specs also show that the 366 only had 10BaseT.
>
>Correct.  In any case, we run a number of Asante 10/100 PCI cards in beige
>G3 and earlier-vintage servers, and they communicate quite well with
>Asante switches using 100 Mbps full-duplex connections.
>
>If you are using an Asante card, download the latest driver package, which
>includes the "Asante ADLS for PCI" program.  This will tell you at what
>speed and duplex setting the card is running, and let you match this to
>the corresponding switch port.

I had major problems with Retrospect & Beige G3 with Asante NICs & Asante
drivers, even the latest ones.

One of the things that Asante tells you to do is to disable the following
extensions if you are using their NICs: Apple Enet, DNS Plugin & SLP
Plugin.

I did this on many of my client machines, and it helped.  The main problem
was that my backup server was also a Beige G3 running on Asante.  This
little fix didn't help much, and I continued getting all manner of 519s
from all over the network.

I finally wound up buying a Farallon NIC for my Server.  All problems
w/Retrospect disappeared.  Even many problems I was having with ASIP 6.3
(random disconnects of clients) disappeared.

Weeks later, I found the REAL problem was that a printer on the network
was surreptitiously using DHCP to try and claim the same IP address as my
ASIP/Retrospect server.  Disabling this behavior made everything well
again on my network, but it also pointed out that the Farallon NIC/driver
was much more resistant to network errors than the Asante.

Bottom line:  Try Farallon but do get a packet sniffer.