Hi Ben,

Are you receiving this error on one client or more than one? The piton
protocol is a proprietary encapsulation scheme, designed to protect
Retrospect's data packets as they travel over your network. Damaged
encapsulation indicates to Retrospect that the data contained within is
likely corrupted.

515 errors are almost always caused by a router that does incidental damage
to the packet as it strips or adds headers and footers that allow the packet
to travel from segment to segment along the network. It's not unheard of,
however, for a bad router or bad networking equipment on a specific node to
cause such problems. The text associated with the error here would lead me
to suspect that one client, but there are certainly other possibilities.

The first step would be to determine whether the 515 is associated with one
machine or many machines. A 515 error on one machine suggests problems with
that node. Try replacing transceivers, patch cables and Ethernet cards, or
changing the port into which that node is plugged on the hub.

If the 515 is associated with all of your clients, troubleshoot that piece
of network hardware which is common to all clients. Are all the machines
isolated to a single hub? Do they make the same router hop? Any sort of
pattern, along with a knowledge of your network topology, will help you
identify the faulty piece of equipment. Using a process of elimination by
substituting pieces of network equipment will help you further isolate the
problem. A telling test, if possible, is to connect the two machines with a
crossover cable. This will tell you if the problem lies on the network or is
specific to some hardware on the machines involved.

Regards,

Irena Solomon
Dantz Technical Support
925.253.3050
++++++++
Try our new Searchable Knowledgebase at:
http://partners.dantz.com:591/faq/