Thanks for the help on this problem.  Being able to name a set of blank tapes so that another backup set cannot write over that set of tapes would be a nice feature in a future release of Retrospect.  Until then, I will take the advice of the person that suggested creating only one script and manually changing the “Destination” when I change the magazine.  At least this way I will have magazines that I know contain only members of the same backup set.

This is important because I always keep a magazine offsite and I want to be sure that I have everything I need to restore in case of disaster.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 7:15 AM
To: retro-talk
Subject: Re: How to keep Backup sets/tapes specific to a magazine?

I believe if you have a storage set named "Bob" and you erase and name all your tapes in a magazine, "1-Bob"..."8-Bob, etc. (assuming an 8 tape mag) ANY other backup set assigned to that script will be able to use those empty named tapes.  Only after they have data on them does retrospect really assign them to the Bob backup set.

Now this is under 4.2.  If you name an empty tape, it really means nothing until the backup set actually writes to it.  Same under 4.3? I don't know.

Tim David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

01/14/01 10:55 PM
Please respond to "retro-talk"