Owen,
 Are you backing up network data via the Retrospect remote clients or by mounting
drives?
 If you are using the clients,  you could try throttling back the backup priority on
the clients.
 You can also try switching to Appletalk protocol for remote backups.

Other things to consider
  Maybe its time to upgrade your sever or put Retrospect on a separate machine.
  The problems you are encountering could be directly related to overworking an
under-powered machine.
  4D Server requires a fair amount of horsepower (I recommend running it on a
dedicated machine).

Hope this helps

--
Philip Chonacky, IT Manager