I had the same settings.py issue, although if I fixed the settings.py
issue I would get a djiblets not-found error.

I got around both issues by adding the following into my conf file.

On my windows box (conf'd at docroot) :
                PythonPath "['D:/www/reviewboard'] + ['D:/www'] + sys.path"

On my linux boxes (conf'd as virtualhosts):
                PythonPath "['/var/www/reviewboard'] + ['/var/www'] + sys.path"