As a follow-up, we had to change some things around because of how lame the 
filtering capabilities of Outlook are.  The current solution works for us but 
is a bit hack-ish, so I'm not sure it's ready to be submitted back (there might 
be a different approach that is better).

Currently we set up a header like this:

X-ReviewBoard-Groups: [group-one], [group-two]

etc., which is basically the same as your typical subject-line tagging for 
mailing lists, except shoved off in an extended header to avoid overcrowding 
the subject when several groups are used.  The [] are because Outlook is very 
limited in what you can search for to filter, making it impossible to search 
for arbitrary text in a particular header, so those help avoid matching the 
words elsewhere in the header.  Unless you have a mailing list subject tag with 
the same name, of course :-(

Anyway, other thoughts on solving this issue are welcome.  I can still submit 
the patch if folks are interested, although I haven't had a chance to write a 
unit test yet.

thanks,
-henry



----- Original Message ----
> From: Henry Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [email protected]
> Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 12:33:03 PM
> Subject: Re: headers for review groups in emails
> 
> 
> Cool.  I'll probably do it next week as it's a change I did for work and I'm 
> off 
> today :-)
> thanks,
> -henry
> 
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message ----
> > From: David Trowbridge 
> > To: [email protected]
> > Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 11:27:03 AM
> > Subject: Re: headers for review groups in emails
> > 
> > 
> > The best thing to do would be do post a review request on
> > http://reviews.review-board.org/
> > 
> > If you want to add unit tests before posting the review, that would be 
> awesome.
> > 
> > I think this is only really documented as the "code reviews" link
> > under "contributing" on the web site. We really need to write up a doc
> > on how to contribute :)
> > 
> > -David
> > 
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:56 AM, Henry Andrews wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >   Along the lines of issue #521
> > > (http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=521) but less
> > > extensive and intrusive, I have a patch to set an email header (currently
> > > X-ReviewBoard-Groups) to a comma-separated lists of the target groups.  
> > > This
> > > allows email filtering without mucking with the subject line, imposing on
> > > people who don't care, or having to maintain email lists in parallel with
> > > review board groups :-)
> > >
> > >   Having not previously been involved with development of this project, 
> > > I'm
> > > uncertain what to do with this:
> > > * File a bug
> > > * Post a review request :-)
> > > * Wait until after 1.0
> > > * Some combination of the above
> > >
> > > Note that while I have tested locally, I have not written any sort of unit
> > > test for it yet.  That should probably come before a unit test, assuming
> > > there is interest.
> > >
> > > My apologies if the process is documented somewhere.  I poked around the
> > > roadmap and whatnot but didn't notice anything obvious.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > -henry
> > >
> > >
> > > >
> > >
> > 
> > 
> 
> 

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"reviewboard" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/reviewboard?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to