Hi Maximillian.

This is, of course, the whole point of code review and the point of the
project.

Your change is a welcome one and we want it in, but there are things about
it that I'm not comfortable with yet. I proposed another potential solution
based on other work we've done that should both simplify the code and make
it more readable and reliable. This is how a lot of open source projects
work, with the contributor going through several revisions of the code until
it meets the coding styles and fixes the bugs that the maintainers notice.

The review submission issue you hit is due to the nature of SVN diffs. It's
something we cannot work around without someone using post-review (which you
could certainly use). You're right in that we should have a guide up
somewhere that says exactly how to contribute in order to simplify this
process.

I understand your point of view about wanting the just provide something
that kinda works that we can use as a basis. We are, however, really busy.
It's basically two of us doing the core development and maintenance of the
project, and we do this in our spare time between our busy personal lives
and our full-time jobs. So we don't necessarily have a lot of time to fix up
everyone's patches. This is why we enforce a strict code review standard, so
that contributors both learn the general coding style and design
philosophies and we have a good record of all final patches that we can
apply.

This is not unusual in open source projects. It's just more formalized in
ours. As it should be, because we're trying to set an example in this
project.

I hope this is not a common frustration. To date, we've had over 80
contributors to the project and I've only heard two who were upset with the
process. It's a process that has so far served us very well so we'll be
continuing with it.

Thanks for the patch. Maybe someone else will have time to take up the work
and finish it so we can get it in to the codebase.

Christian Hammond - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
VMware, Inc.