Switching Python paths will certainly break things if you're switching
to a different version of Python. If you're using mod_python with 2.6
and using the 2.5 search path, you'll experience a number of issues.
Instead, you should reinstall PyLucene with 2.6.

Did you see anything in your browser's JavaScript debug log? And which
browser are you using?

Christian