I ran into this same problem.  Ubuntu 9.04 has a package for PyLucene
but it is built for Python 2.5.  Apache uses libapache2-mod-python
built for Python 2.6 so no changes to the path or default python are
going to make any difference.  The only way I got it to work was to
manually build PyLucene instead of using the package.  Hope this
helps.

-Tom