David,

Which Ubuntu version did you use? I've not (yet) setup search but I've
found the LTS (8.10) Server version to be REALLY good for reliable
config. If you need a reliable, *production* server I wouldn't use
anything other than LTS. I can't promise LTS will handle Lucene but it
has the best chance.

Chris