Yes, you can't select ClearCase and expect it to work. It will treat it as a
ClearCase server.

What Review Board does to check your CVS server is to do:

cvs -f -d :pserver:j...@192.168.3.150:/data1/john/tempcvsroot checkout -p
CVSROOT/modules

If that fails for any reason, it will report the repository as invalid.