On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Matthew Woehlke <
mw_tr...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Apologies, I'm not sure I have understood what you wrote.
>
> I would like to use logrotate to manage Review Board's logs. I think that
> is what you mean when you say 'you should use some method provided by the
> system'? But for that to work, Review Board needs to close and re-open the
> log file, otherwise it will continue writing to the renamed (and eventually,
> unlinked) log file rather than starting over.
>
> It seems 'service lighttpd reload' instructs lighttpd to close and reopen
> its log files. The question is, how to make Review Board do likewise? Will
> Review Board also reload its logs when lighttpd is signaled? If not, is
> there some other way to signal Review Board to reopen its log file?
>
> If it isn't possible to signal Review Board to reopen its log file, then
> some method other than logrotate is needed. (Or... re*start* lighttpd, but
> that means a service interruption I would prefer to avoid.)
>
> --
> Matthew

We use the standard Python logging functionality, which as far as I know
doesn't really have a good way of knowing to close/reopen the log files for
rotation. There is a built-in logging handler that auto-rotates, but this is
only available in Python 2.6. I'll look into what can be done and reply
again if I find anything, but right now restarting lighttpd may be your best
option (sadly). There should be some solved solution for this in their
logging code somewhere.