I am attempting to setup ReviewBoard to use our GIT repositories on
another server via GitWeb.

The issue I'm running into is that I cannot complete the ReviewBoard
repository setup UNLESS there is a valid local copy of the GIT repo on
the same server.  It will error out when clicking save if the Path is
either not set or set to a "dummy" .git directory.

All the instructions I've found say that the "Path" is not needed/used
if the "RAW file url mask" is set.

What did work is cloning the repo to the ReviewBoard server and then
complete the setup using that path as the Path variable but that seems
counter-intuitive to what I want (which is for ReviewBoard to use the
GitWeb URL).

Is this expected behavior?  i.e. is an initial valid repository
required only for setup purposes but after that it's never used?

Here's a breakdown of what was tried:

Attempt one:  Failed.  It also triggered django failure email to root
@ localhost
Hosting Service:  Custom
Repository Type:  git
Mirror Path: <blank>
RAW File Url mask: http://path/to/gitweb/with<file>and<revision>

Attempt two:  Failed with: <django.utils.functional.__proxy__ object
at 0x2ad39488e510>
Hosting Service:  Custom
Repository Type:  git
Mirror Path: <blank>