So I decided to go back through and document the behavior of each variation:

*SITE_ROOT                  FORCE_SCRIPT_NAME
Behavior*
'/reviewboard/'                ''
                 Page Not Found (404 error for ^reviewboard)
'/reviewboard/'                '/'
                Page Not Found (404 error for ^reviewboard)
'/'                                  '/reviewboard'
                 Redirects to /account/login without "reviewboard" in url
'/'                                  '/reviewboard/'
                Redirects to /account/login without "reviewboard" in url
'/'                                  'reviewboard/'
                 Redirects to http://localhostreviewboard//dashboard/

If it helps, the error page I get for the first two entries (the 404 error)
is:

Page not found (404)Request Method:GETRequest URL:http://localhost/

Using the URLconf defined in djblets.util.rooturl, Django tried these URL
patterns, in this order:

   1. ^reviewboard/

The current URL, , didn't match any of these.

I made sure to set Debug = True so I could get this message ... any ideas?