That procedure sounds fine.

The dumpdb/loaddb commands are really meant for people who are trying to switch
database types (for example, SQLite -> MySQL, where the syntax of an SQL dump
isn't compatible). If you're sticking with pg, I'd just use pg's dump/load
tools, which avoids a lot of slowness converting to and from json.

-David