On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Steve <seide.al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:51:56 PM UTC-7, Christian Hammond wrote:
>>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> You shouldn't need to clear the cache. Something is wrong, though. We
>> know of servers reliably handling thousands if users every day.
>>
>> How much memory have you given memcached?
>>

> We're using the default settings, which allow 1024 connections and
> allocates 64MB of memory.  I didn't realize until just now that it was only
> using 64MB of memory.  I'm going to bump that to 2GB

That alone is going to do wonders. We make heavy use of the cache, and diff
viewing is expensive. 64MB will only hold so much of that (let alone the
other things we cache) at once.

The more memory you can give it, the better.

Also, can you confirm in the Admin UI -> General Settings page that it is
indeed using memcached? The Admin UI dashboard should also provide some
stats on memcached usage, if things are configured correctly. If you don't
see that, it's possible it's fallen back on local memory, which would be
bad.

>> What are the specs of the server?
>>

> Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5160 @ 3.00GHz with 16 GB RAM

Yeah, that should certainly be sufficient :)

>> What kind of repositories are you using?
>

> Perfore exclusively.

That'd be fine.

>> Are there any gigantic, multi-megabyte files it's working with (diffs or
>> in the repository)?
>>

> I can't say off hand - I'd have to check that.  We do sometimes get people
> trying to post reviews with large numbers of files.  We've discouraged that
> but haven't stopped it completely.

Okay. The version of RB you're running should do a pretty good job of
handling larger files, and disabling expensive functionality for large
ones, so that may not be the cause. Still something to consider. Of course,
large changes will use more memory in memcached, so that could be part of
it.

>> Can you show the Apache limits in your config?
>>

> I will need your help finding that information.  Are you just asking for
> the main apache conf file? Or the rb conf file?

Just the main Apache config file.

One option, if memcached was not the culprit, is to limit the number of
servers/threads running at any particular time.

> Hopefully, bumping the memory on memcached will resolve this.

I expect it will. If it does not, do let me know, and we'll look into more.

If you find you need additional scalability as you grow, we have a beta of
our new product, the Review Board Power Pack (
http://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/), which, amongst other features,
makes it easier to scale out Review Board across servers, in order to share
the load.

Christian