If you repeat that wget test, say, 10 times, does that delay stay
consistent?

When using mod_wsgi in embedded mode (which is what the standard
configuration files make use of), Apache needs to load in all the modules
and go through our initialization each time it sets up a new process (or
worker thread, in your case). That's a first-time penalty, and depending on
your main Apache setup, can be noticeable. However, after those
processes/workers are primed, it should load fast.

We recommend using Apache with prefork instead of workers, though. You'll
have fewer issues with that setup using Django and Review Board.