While it's technically safer to have it on than off, most Linux
distributions do not have it on by default, as it's very strict. You should
be fine to turn it off, so long as this box is otherwise secured from the
outside world.

I believe the RPMs have SELinux rules that you can use if you want to turn
SELinux on. Stephen Gallagher would be able to better answer that.