Ok, adding garbage text to the python is not causing the server to go down,
I'm thinking my updates aren't taking effect.

More sanity checking: I don't have any of the developer code installed and
am modifying the install itself, right?  I don't need to update an
executable somewhere forcibly?

The folder which I'm updating the python is in:

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ReviewBoard-2.0.1-py2.7.egg/reviewboard

I see the pyc get updated, but again, it just runs happily, which seems
very suspicious to me.

I even put logging in webapi/resources/review_request.py, in _find_user(),
which didn't update.

Does any of this make sense?