Having read the available documentation regarding using rbtools and git, I
am still trying to understand how git reviews are working with our git
branching strategy. Some things are not working as we expect.

We have a primary git repository origin/master. We have created a clone
repository of master on the server where ReviewBoard is installed, and this
repository is refreshed at intervals. All dev work is done on local
branches off of master, and then merged back into master. We create a
branch for each user story or defect that we work on. So the typical work
pattern looks like this:

1. Dev creates a local branch off of master.
2. Dev makes changes in their local branch and commits.
3. Dev uses "rbt post" to create a review.
4. When review is complete, dev pushes branch to origin then merges to
master.

This pattern works fine. From reading the rbtools docs, my understanding is
that "rbt post" diffs my local committed branch workspace against the copy
of master on the clone with the ReviewBoard server.

If, instead, the dev pushes their branch to origin and then uses "rbt post"
to create a review, rbtools says there are no diffs. It is as if rbtools is
comparing the local copy of the branch to the origin copy of the branch, or
the same pushed commit level on the clone copy of master on the ReviewBoard
server, even though this branch is not yet merged to master.

Also, some devs have suggested that they have seen diffs where it seems
rbtools is comparing their local branch to their local copy of the master
branch.

Can someone explain the behavior of rbtools relative to git branches in the
branch/work strategy that I have described here?

I think we are doing pre-commit reviews, since our branch is never merged
to master when we create the reviews. Even if we have pushed our branch to
origin, rbtools should be comparing against master and not our branch,
right? So this is not post-commit.

To sum it up, we always want rbtools to compare the local committed branch
workspace to origin/master, or a clone of master local to the ReviewBoard
server.

Thanks,
Greg