On 2014-08-12 16:39, Greg Burcher wrote:
> I also removed the BRANCH setting from .reviewboardrc. This only seems to
> change the "branch" value displayed in the review header area. Is there any
> other behavior associated with the BRANCH setting? Why can't rbtools
> determine the current git branch on its own?

(Rhetorical:) What does the 'branch' field in RB mean, anyway?

I have always taken it to be the intended merge target, which would be
'master' much of the time, but (heavily depending on the repository
workflow) not always. IMO RB does not presently have a proper notion of
'a symbolic name for this request via which it can be accessed given
some canonical remote'. (Which makes sense given RB's origin around the
svn era, but is something I'd really like to see added, if only for
reference purposes.)

Other sites may use the existing 'branch' field for that purpose. It
isn't really codified. Really, RB with git should have both; where you
want it merged to, and the symbolic name (if any) of the request. (And
also the SHA, if the code is at least locally committed, but I believe
2.x has that.)

Note that pre-commit is still a valid workflow; it's possible for
'target branch' to be meaningful and have more possible values than
'master' while 'local branch name' is empty / not applicable.

Given the above, I think it makes a lot of sense to have a default value
for target branch. I know that doesn't really help with your use case,
just trying to explain my take on why it works the way it does.

--
Matthew