So I just tried this out. I believe TRACKING_BRANCH defaults to
origin/<currentBranch> instead of origin/master as documented on the
rbtools page. That would explain the behavior that we were seeing when we
did not specify TRACKING_BRANCH. Pushing to the remote branch on origin
caused there to be no diffs when creating the review. Now that I have added
TRACKING_BRANCH = "origin/master" into our .reviewboardrc file, now the
diffs are created fine.

I also removed the BRANCH setting from .reviewboardrc. This only seems to
change the "branch" value displayed in the review header area. Is there any
other behavior associated with the BRANCH setting? Why can't rbtools
determine the current git branch on its own?

Greg