Looks like that's the issue. If his old username was x...@x.com, but the new
username is x...@y.com, then those are two very different accounts. This is
going to happen to anyone who has a new username due to that change.

You never want to delete a user, but what you can do is mark one as
inactive.

My suggestion is to mark any new account as inactive and rename it. Then
take the old account (x...@x.com) and rename the username to x...@y.com, so all
the old data is linked.

You may then need to re-assign review requests/reviews in the database to
the new user.

Generally, it's better to use real usernames and not a @domain.com if that
domain can change.

Does that help?