Assuming you're referring to e-mails going out when updating a change or
posting a review, the checkbox controls that one instance of publishing the
draft, and doesn't affect future publishes.

The person writing the draft is responsible for determining if the change
is trivial enough to skip sending e-mails.

I'm not entirely sure I'm understanding the problem you're hitting, though.
Can you explain what it is that you're hoping would happen, step-by-step?