Update:

tried rb-site manage /path/to/site evolve -- --hint --execute
but ends with Duplicate column error (password , or permission)

hmm. further research it may not be due to our customization , but another
case that the database somehow is in a bad state.
I recall reading from some posts then manual manipulation of database
schema is not recommended.