Csaba Ringhofer has posted comments on this change. ( 
http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24590 )

Change subject: IMPALA-9821: Change DataSketches functions to return BINARY
......................................................................


Patch Set 6:

(3 comments)

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/3//COMMIT_MSG
Commit Message:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/3//COMMIT_MSG@9
PS3, Line 9: DataSketches functions were added before BI
> > Is it about datasketches specifically, or BINARY columns in general?
I still don't get the ORC part completely, added comment to the interop test.


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/5/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-cpc.test
File 
testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-cpc.test:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/5/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-cpc.test@222
PS5, Line 222: ---- QUERY
             : # Check that ds_cpc_union rejects STRING sketch inputs.
             : select ds_cpc_union(date_string_col) from 
functional_parquet.alltypestiny where id=1;
             : ---- CATCH
             : AnalysisException: No matching function with signature: 
ds_cpc_union(STRING)
> I've added these Analysis checks for every function to make sure string is
hmm, I am actually ok with either keeping them or removing them
datasketches function have no FE analyzer tests, so it makes sense to check the 
signature here


http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/6/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-hll-hive-orc.test
File 
testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-hll-hive-orc.test:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/6/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-hll-hive-orc.test@16
PS6, Line 16: 9482
IMPALA-9482 was merged in 2022, I don't think that it is very useful to 
reference it as a fix.

>"Type mismatch: table column STRING is map to column binary in ORC file"

when did this happen exactly? wasn't it about writing an ORC as binary, but 
changing HMS column to STRING? This is when I could imagine an error like this.



--
To view, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24590
To unsubscribe, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/settings

Gerrit-Project: Impala-ASF
Gerrit-Branch: master
Gerrit-MessageType: comment
Gerrit-Change-Id: Id4a6b54089dd356e37257bc24adeb1eb98e82c25
Gerrit-Change-Number: 24590
Gerrit-PatchSet: 6
Gerrit-Owner: Mihaly Szjatinya <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Csaba Ringhofer <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Impala Public Jenkins <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Mihaly Szjatinya <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Zoltan Borok-Nagy <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Comment-Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2026 12:44:57 +0000
Gerrit-HasComments: Yes

Reply via email to