Mihaly Szjatinya has posted comments on this change. ( 
http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24590 )

Change subject: IMPALA-9821: Change DataSketches functions to return BINARY
......................................................................


Patch Set 12:

(1 comment)

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/6/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-hll-hive-orc.test
File 
testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-hll-hive-orc.test:

http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/#/c/24590/6/testdata/workloads/functional-query/queries/QueryTest/datasketches-hll-hive-orc.test@16
PS6, Line 16:
> If you want to test scenario that originally could cause the type mismatch
Step 1 without 
[this](https://github.com/apache/Impala/blob/master/be/src/exec/orc/orc-metadata-utils.cc#L498)
 piece of code from IMPALA-9482 actually reproduces the original error stated 
in IMPALA-9821.

You're right that Step 1 never historically produced that error. I.e. if we 
take IMPALA-9482 in its entirety, without it there wouldn't be BINARY support 
for Impala at all, not only the ORC part, and hence Step 1 comment's claim is 
factually incorrect.

If my understanding is right so far then changing the phrasing as I did now 
would remove the incorrectness.

But if you ask me personally, I think this is a level of imprecision acceptable 
for tests' comments. I.e. it's kind of obvious that in the context of 
IMPALA-9821 referring to 'before IMPALA-9482' is a semantic shortcut for saying 
'without the minimal part of IMPALA-9482 that actually allows us to demonstrate 
our point' or even 'allows us to understand the genesis of error in 
IMPALA-9821, why it was reported and how it was fixed'.

But hey, if there's a way to make it even more straightforward, it's always a 
good idea. And I think I understand your concern from IMPALA-9482's author pov 
:)

As for ALTER TABLE, IMHO there's no need to craft the precise pre-IMPALA-9482 
way to invoke the error with ALTER TABLE to demonstrate the essence of Step 1, 
given that we already have a simpler way to demonstrate it. IMHO doing that, 
and especially an extra cast in Step 2 would make the test much less clear 
overall.



--
To view, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/24590
To unsubscribe, visit http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/settings

Gerrit-Project: Impala-ASF
Gerrit-Branch: master
Gerrit-MessageType: comment
Gerrit-Change-Id: Id4a6b54089dd356e37257bc24adeb1eb98e82c25
Gerrit-Change-Number: 24590
Gerrit-PatchSet: 12
Gerrit-Owner: Mihaly Szjatinya <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Csaba Ringhofer <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Impala Public Jenkins <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Mihaly Szjatinya <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Peter Rozsa <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Reviewer: Zoltan Borok-Nagy <[email protected]>
Gerrit-Comment-Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2026 15:30:50 +0000
Gerrit-HasComments: Yes

Reply via email to