Hi,

On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 06:27:31PM +0000, Andy Davidson wrote:
> Perhaps you might think that this is an accident of how the 728
> document is drafted.  Of the four Authors, one is the former RIPE
> Chair and now NCC MD, one the new Chair and former/current NCC
> employee, and ... Daniel the former nom-com Chair who???s role in
> the selection of the community chair I have cited as poor governance.
> Do we have so few people in the community that we have to work with
> a tiny pool?

If I judge by the number of volunteers for the NomCom, the amount of
people interested in this sort of community work is not exactly
overwhelming.

If I look at who contributed to these documents - that were discussed on
an open and public mailing list - the amount of people interested in this
sort of community work is not exactly overwhelming either.

Daniel has a deep interest (obviously, and still, after so many years)
to ensure the well-being of the RIPE NCC *and* the RIPE community, and
has invested enormous amounts of time both in actually *creating* a
process, where we had none before, gathering volunteers for the NomCom,
and pushing the selected members to do their job - all this in a manner
that was totally independent from the NCC (e-mails went to a separate
server hosted elsewhere, etc.), and very neutral on the actual candidates.

> The heart of my complaint is a passion for bottom-up governance and the
> primacy of community voice in the community.

So - please help make the processes better.  Not complain after the fact
that the processes are not to your liking.

[..]
> Yes, this is why I precisely added my support to the request for
> this to get fixed and I am extremely sad that the 2020 nom-com chair
> disagreed.

There is nothing in the process that says "we can change this any time
while it's already running" - and we shouldn't.  The NomCom discussed
this at length, and we (not the chair) decided that we go on and do
what we were volunteered for: select two candidates that would make
a good RIPE chair.  And so we did.

Now is the time to improve the process.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279