So...

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:39 AM Chuck <dj.chuc...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>   Here are my steps.
>
>   Open a cart in RDLibrary.  Highlight Cut 1; touch Copy; touch Add;
> highlight the new Cut 2; touch Paste.  It is at this point that the
> track appears, but often shows 0:00 length and when trying to open with
> Edit Markers, the 'no audio in this cut' warning appears.  However, the
> track has ALWAYS been placed in the audio store drive, just not
> recognized as there by RDLibrary.

So, this is the only point where the problem occurs? Once you make it past
this hurdle you are golden?

If so, have you tried deleting the second cut and pasting again (in a loop)
until it shows up? Or once it fails the first time, will it fail from then
on?

>   If the copy is successful, then I open the properly numbered _002
> file from the audio store in Audacity.  Perform the needed changes.
> Normalize to -13.  Export back to the audio store, overwriting the _002
> file.

This is the point I thought the problem might be happening, when the audio
file Rivendell "knows" about gets changed out from under it.

>   I have tried exporting to a WAV file and importing as Cut 2, however
> that process is destructive.  Only if I export directly back to the
> audio store, does quality remain high.

Do you have a working theory as to why this is so? Is any part of your
workflow not in the digital realm?

If you export to a wav that is not in the audio store, and play that with
something like vlc, is the quality degraded?

>   When that exported Cut is
> opened again in RDLibrary, the time is updated if changed, and I always
> double-check the markers, anyway.
>
>   There is still a bit of quality loss and the noise floor is raised by
> using Audacity, because it converts into and out of it's own format.
> If I am just shortening a track (we have a 6:30 time limit on all
> songs,

How do you shorten you songs? (Not germane to the issue, just wondering.)

> so the ID always makes it within the legal time limits), I use
> the WAV editor in Exact Audio copy which is not destructive.  That
> editor is very hard to work with, though, as the interface is not very
> helpful.

Do you have access to any other programs that wan work with your wav files?
Similar results or?

>   So the copy process is done by RDLibrary, editing by external
> software, then the finished product returned directly back to the audio
> store.

Right, that is where I thought your problem might be occurring but, iiuc,
it is happening before that.

>   I changed my methods a bit to cope with this problem.  Instead of
> operating on the copied track, I now edit the original Cut 1 track,
> considering that the pasted-but-disabled track can suffice as the
> original untouched track, and hope that one day the cause of this
> problem will be identified and somehow all those supposedly non-
> existent tracks that now litter the audio store can be re-recognized.
>
>   Hope that explains.

I am still not certain, but it is much clearer...