> Isn't there a larger issue with RFC2047 format subject lines? If the
 >charset declaration was unrecognized, wasn't the server attempting to
 >render the base64-encoded text as if it encoded a Unicode string?

 Ah, but the questionable messages do not *have* RFC2047 format subject
lines.  The last few messages shigerugo had trouble with, had the subject
lines written out as raw Big5 (or maybe some other character set)
*instead* of being encoded in RFC2047 format.

 If it were RFC2047 and our iconv simply didn't have a conversion on file
for the declared charset, that would be a different story.  We could
provide a place for the site operator to add more aliases, and things
would probably be ok.