On 2/28/06 10:58 AM, Rob Kinyon wrote:
> On 2/28/06, John Siracusa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Okay,  but what about the list_tables() situation?  Should it pass the
>> schema value or wildcard with %?
>
> Are you looking for all tables with that name in any schema that your
> user has access to or are you looking for information on the table
> with that name for the schema you're connected to?

I guess it should be "any table in the current schema."  The other drivers
don't consider access rights, as far as I know...unless those dbs are
implicitly not listing tables that a connected user has no access to.

But when user and schema are the same thing, it gets fuzzy.  Pg will honor
the schema but will also show tables that the connected user does not own.
Does it make sense in Oracle to show tables that the user doesn't own?

See, this is why having the schema default to username causes problems.  Why
not leave it undef by default?  Won't Oracle assume an implied "schema" of
the connected username?  That'd solve a lot of problems.  Then I'd just say
schema defaults to undef and list_tables() converts an undef schema to "%"

-John