On 3/1/06 12:03 AM, Ron Savage wrote:
> I would not want code inside Rose to say the schema param to primary_key_info
> (or any method, actually) comes from $self -> schema || $self -> username.
> What about another vendor where it has to be undef, and schema is undef, and
> username is set, as usually it would have to be. Then username gets passed,
> wrongly.

Inside RDBO you mean, and don't worry, it'd be yet another situation where I
ask a generic question of the Rose::DB object ("do I have to do this?") and
then act accordingly.  An existing example is likes_lowercase_table_names()
or somesuch.  These are all private APIs, of course, but the point is that
the db-specific decision making responsibility is still in the right place:
Rose::DB, not RDBO.

> No point in creating gotchas for non-Oracle users.

It wouldn't, since no other Rose::DB driver class would return true from its
use_username_if_schema_is_undef_in_pk_info_calls() or whatever crazy name
I'd come up with :)

>> I thought you said that list_tables() with an undef or % schema arg
>> listed all tables?  Does it just list tables owned by the connected
>> user?
>
> Just tables owned by the connected user. My test with 2 registry entries (2
> users) returned just the tables which the 'current' user owned.

Hm, okay.  But what about an Oracle user who has a db registered where the
username and the schema don't match?  That's the only remaining case I can
think of where we can't just do as you suggest and tell Oracle users to set
schema to their username (or make schema default to username even).  Should
it be a fatal error on the call to register_db if schema doesn't match
username when the driver is Oracle?

>> perspective of current users.  Anyway, I think once we move into
>> RDBO land, the test suite will help us make Oracle behave as much
>> like the existing drivers as possible.
>
> Does not compute. I'm running the test suite under Oracle while discussing all
> this :-).

The RDBO test suite?  Or just the Rose::DB test suite?

-John