On 2/28/06 9:37 PM, Ron Savage wrote:
> The only call to primary_key_info I found is in
> Rose::DB::Object::Metadata::Auto, which will presumably just work, since it
> ultimately calls $db->schema, and the new docs will have told the user to set
> schema appropriately for Oracle, right?

I really don't want setting the schema to be the common case just for its
side-effects.  If username and schema really are the same thing, then in the
places where a schema/username arg are required, how about using schema if
set, or username otherwise?

IOW, don't make schema default to username just to make primary_key_info()
work.  Instead, before the call to primary_key_info(), get "schema if set,
otherwise username" and use that value.  Repeat for each API that needs
hand-holding.

> Anyway, if schema is unset, how could it return table names for other users?

I thought you said that list_tables() with an undef or % schema arg listed
all tables?  Does it just list tables owned by the connected user?

> Anyway, do other db drivers have to worry about this possibility?

The only other supported db driver that uses schema is Pg, and it has
totally separate concepts of schema and username.

> Anyway, I vote not to worry about this situation until we receive a bug report
> with a corresponding patch :-)).

Better now than later, when a bug "fix" might break things from the
perspective of current users.  Anyway, I think once we move into RDBO land,
the test suite will help us make Oracle behave as much like the existing
drivers as possible.

-John